Rising Phoenix

Rising Phoenix
picture from google

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advertising


Shopping season is upon us, and with it, unfortunately, we see a rise in advertising as well. Some of the commercials make little to no sense to me. For example, those Levi jeans commercials…most of them have nothing to do with jeans. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cm7LBH7jUY&feature=related)
Also, lately there is a trend in scare tactics, using the possibility of injury to compel us to buy their product. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/default.aspx) Yes some things require this tactic, but the amount it is actually used is ridiculous, don’t you think? It seems like I’m either going to be robbed, have my car destroyed, or kill somebody on a regular basis, in between my life style changes at Kaplan University. Honestly, not everyone wants to become an IT Manager or a nurse thank you.
The Kaplan commercials are annoying for several reasons, for one thing, they often use repetitive statements. “I don’t have a job because I don’t have skills, I don’t have skills because I didn’t go to school, I can’t go to school because I don’t have a job…” and so on and so forth.  And then, to make matters worse, they play this commercial every 15 minutes or so, and play another Kaplan commercial right after the previous one. Ridiculous! Honestly, it’s one of the main reasons I don’t watch much TV anymore…obnoxious advertisements like these.
My advice? Just don’t listen to any commercial, make your own call, and listen to the reviews if you really want advice on what to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment